How to Roast Vegetables
Also see: preparationtips/tp/How-To-Make-Roasted-Vegetables.htm
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees (between 350 and 425 if cooking other items at
the same time)
2. Cut pieces to the same size so they cook in the same time
3. Toss pieces with 1-2 tablespoons olive oil or your oil of choice to help them brown
evenly. You can also add chopped garlic, sliced chilies or other herbs at this time
4. Spread pieces on a ribbed baking sheet separating them so they brown evenly
and do not steam. Don't crowd them.
5. Sprinkle lightly with salt.
6. Place pan in the top third of the oven for best browning
7. When veggies start to brown, shake the pan or use a spatula to turn them. This
helps them brown more evenly
8. You want your roast vegetables to be BOTH brown AND tender. Keep them in
the hot oven until they are both. If they start to get too brown before they get
tender, cover them with foil and when tender, take off the foil for 5 more minutes.
If they aren't browning sufficiently, raise the oven temperature and move them
higher in the oven.
9. After removing the veggies from the oven, drizzle them with some olive oil and a
sprinkle of salt. You might also want to add one or more of the following at this
point: ground pepper, herbs, lemon juice, vinegar
10. Serve warm or at room temperature. If you want to serve at room temperature,
be sure to cool them with pieces separated so the pieces won't steam and