Naturally Pickled Leafy Greens with Onions
A natural leafy green and onion pickle made with a simple brine cure. It's a perfect way to use up leaves and stems of tender and sweet leafy greens.
- Any kind of dark leafy green with stems. My favorites are beet tops, swiss chard, and kale.
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- filtered water
- 2 tbls Large Granule (Kosher) Salt
- In a quart sized mason jar, layer beet tops, stems, and onions until filled to the top.
- Fill with filtered water and add 2 tbls large granule salt.
- Cover and shake to mix the salt throughout.
- Uncover, and add more filtered water to cover the contents.
- Store in a cool place for 1 - 2 weeks or until fermented to your liking. Throughout the 2 weeks, make sure to look over the contents and open up the lid to “burp” the jar and release the gasses created.
- Once fermented, store 3-6 months in the refrigerator.