Potato Cauliflower Curry
- 1 head cauliflower, broken into florets
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, finely diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 small squash, cubed
- 1 carrot, chopped small
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and chunked
- 1 cup vegetable or chicken broth
- 12 ounces fresh spinach, torn in pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne (optional)
1. In a large saucepan of boiling water, cook the cauliflower until crisp-tender; about 3 minutes. Drain, rinse under cold running water and drain again.
2. In a casserole dish, heat oil. Add onion and cook over medium heat until the onion is lightly browned; 4-5 minutes.
3. Add the green pepper and garlic and cook until the pepper is softened; 2-3 minutes. Add ginger, cumin, turmeric and curry powder and cook, stirring 1-2 minutes.
4. Add tomatoes, cauliflower, potatoes, carrot and broth. Cover and cook over medium heat until the potatoes are tender; 12-15 minutes. Add additional broth or water if the mixture becomes too dry.
5. When potatoes are cooked, stir in spinach, salt and cayenne. Cook until the spinach is just wilted, about 2 minutes. Serve hot, over rice.