Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
Original recipe makes 6 servings
1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
2 cups water
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 zucchini, diced
1 small eggplant, diced
1 tomato, diced
1 cup tomato sauce
salt and ground black pepper to taste
6 bell peppers, tops cut off and seeded
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, or more to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a deep baking dish with aluminum foil.
- Mix quinoa and water together in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer until quinoa is tender and water is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat; cook and stir onion and garlic until fragrant and slightly translucent, 5 to 7 minutes. Add zucchini, eggplant, and tomato; cook until slightly tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir tomato sauce into vegetable mixture; cover and simmer until vegetables have softened, about 10 more minutes.
- Stir quinoa into vegetable mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Fill bell peppers with quinoa-vegetable mixture. Place peppers in prepared baking dish. Cover dish with aluminum foil.
- Bake in the preheated oven until bell peppers are slightly tender, about 18 minutes. Remove aluminum foil cover; sprinkle peppers with mozzarella cheese. Bake until cheese is bubbling and melted, about 5 more minutes.