Simple Thai Basil Coconut Chicken
- 3 Tablespoons coconut oil for frying
- 1 lb. chicken, bone and skin removed
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup Thai basil leaves, lightly packed, plus a few extras for garnish
- salt to taste
- Jasmine rice to serve
- In a medium skillet or saucepan heat coconut oil or lard over medium heat. Cut chicken into 1″ pieces and place in hot pan. Sear for a couple of minutes or until golden brown, turn, and sear the other side.
- Add cayenne, garlic, ginger, and turmeric, and stir into chicken. Pour in coconut milk, honey, and apple cider vinegar and simmer, stirring occasionally, for approximately five minutes or until chicken is cooked through and sauce has thickened slightly. Remove from heat, stir in basil leaves, and season with salt to taste.
- Serve over Jasmine rice, ladling sauce generously. Enjoy.
Alternately, use precooked chicken (like leftovers from another meal) and add it to the sauce.