Wild and Wonderful Ramp Chowder
Yield: 4 servings
2 Tbsp. bacon fat or other healthy cooking fat (coconut oil, butter, etc.)
1 cup ramps, roughly chopped (half bulb, half greens)
3 large russet potatoes, peeled and diced (approx. 4 cups)
4 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
1/8 tsp. pepper
Salt to taste
2 c. heavy cream
2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
2 c. coconut milk
1/3 c. nutritional yeast
Additional shredded cheese
Chopped ramp greens
1. In a Dutch oven or other heavy-bottomed pot, on medium heat sauté ramps in bacon fat until soft.
2. Add potatoes, chicken broth, and salt if needed; simmer (covered) for 20 minutes or until potatoes are cooked through.
3. Reduce heat to low. Add cream and cheese (or coconut milk and nutritional yeast); stir well to combine. Cook over low heat until everything is combined. Do not boil.
4. This soup is best if you let it sit for 30 minutes or more and then reheat it before serving to let the flavors deepen. If you prefer a thicker soup, blend 1-2 cups in a blender and return the mixture to the pot.
5. Garnish top of soup with your choice of toppings.