- 2 medium zucchini or summer squash (about 8 ounces each), trimmed
- 1 medium onion, or 1 bunch scallions, or a handful garlic scapes
- 1/2 cup grated Pecorino Romano or other dry cheese such as sharp cheddar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh oregano or marjoram
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for frying
- Plain yogurt and apricot jam, for serving
Grate zucchini on the large holes of a box grater, then squeeze dry in a clean kitchen towel or press in a ricer. Repeat with onion.
Mix together zucchini, onion, cheese, flour, and herbs. Season with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Stir in eggs just before frying.
Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches, coat skillet with 1 to 2 tablespoons oil. Scoop mounds (2 tablespoons each) of the zucchini mixture into skillet; flatten slightly using a spatula. Cook until golden brown and cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
Transfer fritters to paper-towel-lined plates to drain. Serve with dollops of plain yogurt and apricot jam.*Alternatively, these can be served with salsa, greek yogurt, ketchup, mango chutney, etc.